Let me start this post off by saying that I’m a maths geek. I love numbers, always have. You might find them boring, but I find them to be precise and incapable of subjectivity. Even if you don’t like maths, you will like this post though, I promise. Ok, let’s carry on.
Fibonacci is largely credited with discovering what is known as the divine sequence. This sequence is simple enough: the first number being 1, you simply add the two previous numbers to get the next number in the sequence.
The pattern is 1, then (0)+1=1, 1+1=2, 2+1=3, 3+2=5, 5+3=8, 8+5=13, etc
What is so special about these numbers? Starting with the number 2, if you calculate the ratio of each number to the number before it, you will eventually get to the divine ratio, which is 1.618. Once you reach the divine ratio, it continues for infinity. So every number starting with 55 (55/34=1.618) is in the divine proportion.
The divine proportion is present in seemingly unrelated phenomena on Earth:
- The curls of an elephant tusk
- The shape of a kudu’s horn
- Hurricane spirals and tornado formations, whirlpools
- The structure of DNA
- The growth of many plants (phyllotaxis), petals and seeds of flowers
- The Periodic Table of the Elements
- Spiral shells of certain mollusks, like snails, and shells of living and extinct ammonites
- The flight patterns of birds
- The reproductive patterns of many animals, like bees, cows and rabbits
- The shape and size of a woman’s uterus at peak fertility
This is also present in our solar system:
- The distribution of planets in the solar system
- The logarithmic spirals of galaxies
- The revolution of planets in days relative to the revolution of the planet before it
This ratio exists in everything, literally. Nothing is by accident. It’s almost like the mark or the signature of an artist. The Kabaa is even located at a divine ratio between the North and South Poles subhanallah!! When we pair that finding with the knowledge that Allah (swt) prescribed the EXACT spot for the Kaaba to be placed and indicated that it was directly under Baitul Ma’amoor, how glorious is Islam! Allahu Akbar!
“The seven heavens and the earth and whatever is in them exalt Him. And there is not a thing except that it exalts by His praise, but you do not understand their way of exalting.”
Al-Isra, Surah 44